Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The effect of the kingdom

The kingdom of God works in a man to train him to overcome the world around him. The kingdom does not just change the world around a man without changing him. We must be changed; the world is then changed by us.

Psalm 18 illustrates this in the language of David, the king of Israel. The language uses the words of warfare; David spoke as he was moved by the Holy Spirit speaking of his experiences. The Lord trained his hands for battle; He made him able to fight. We face a spiritual battle, hidden within the struggles of life. But what David wrote has been written for us; we can experience the same God of our salvation.

In our distress we call out to Him; He bows the heavens and comes down. He sets us free, putting us a in broad place. He gives us light; He trains us to fight. The kingdom comes near, and changes us. We then change the world around us.

"I pursued my enemies and overtook them,
And I did not turn back until they were consumed.
I shattered them, so that they were not able to rise;
They fell under my feet.
For Thou hast girded me with strength for battle;
Thou has subdued under me those who rose up against me.
Thou hast also made my enemies turn their backs to me,
And I destroyed those who hated me.
They cried out for help, but there was none to save,
Even to the Lord, but He did not answer them.
Then I beat them fine as the dust before the wind;
I emptied them out as the mire of the streets.
Thou hast delivered me from the contentions of the people;
Thou hast placed me as head of the nations;
A people whom I have not known serve me.
As soon as they hear, they obey me;
Foreigners fade away,
And coming trembling out of their fortresses."
Psalm 18:37-45

Twenty times in this passage David used the word "I" or "me". The kingdom of God works through "me", not "them".

Man was meant to rule the earth; sin has enslaved him. The kingdom of God can restore rule to man. The kingdom of God brings salvation to a man, saving him to the uttermost.

"You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world." I John 4:4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home